30 September 2010

Six Months After My Dad's Surgery

I was just down with my parents a few days ago and was just amazed at my dad. If you have followed my blog at all, you know that he had his second leg amputated in March because of infection (from diabetes). When the news came that he would need to have his last good leg amputated, I must admit that it made me very anxious for several reasons. Would he be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life? Would he be strong enough (mentally and physically) to rise to the challenge of rehab? How would my mom do through this transition? What would be my role?

I am the daughter of two very incredible parents. Both early into their seventies, they are still vital, strong, passionate, fun-loving, up-to-the-challenge people, continuing to live out the deep faith they have in their Savior. And they live it out in breathtaking color!

Six months after his surgery, my dad is walking on his own, though he has had a setback with an infected place on his leg - preventing him from walking directly for a couple of months. But now the sore has healed and his wheelchair is somewhat buried underneath his walker in the trunk of his car. I went with him to a doctor’s appointment the other day and even in the pouring rain, he stepped out of the car, walked up a slightly sloped ramp, and into the office. When he is at home, he likes to show off, displaying his ability to walk even without his walker, though he does not push it too far.

My mom has kept her sense of humor through this and they seem to have grown closer (if that is possible after 53 years of marriage) in spite of the unique challenges that have beset them. They inspire me every time I am able to spend time with them. They reach out to others, make time for family and friends, and continue to love jaunts to their mountain cabin.

Having had two knee surgeries before the age of 20 and even now struggle with osteoarthritis in both knees, I know that knee replacement is most likely in my future - though I do hope farther away than ever! When that time comes and the dynamics of my life changes, I will choose to act on the inspiration that I have seen in the lives of these two incredible people that I am absolutely blessed to call my parents!! ROCK ON, Bob and Geri! Walk on, live on, laugh on, love on!

No comments: